Sunday, December 14, 2008

Darwin Revelation- Stephen Richards

            Through out my life, ever since I can remember, I have always been a naturally competitive person. I am competitive with my friends in games and sports.  But, the person I am most competitive with which I always push to exceed my expectations is myself.  This characteristic about myself I see as a positive one in the way that I am constantly pushing myself to be the best.  As a negative characteristic it would be in the way that I am not always accepting who I am as a person.

            While entering college I knew that I wanted to study in the field of business. Knowing that I am a natural competitive person I felt that business not only fit my personality but also was what I wanted to do.  After learning about Darwin’s theory of natural selection I found it easier to make connections in and out of the classroom, such as in the field of business.

 People in business are always competing for one thing, which is to make as much money as possible, in an ethical manner, as well as to be successful in the strategic management of the business goals.  In order to do so some people in business but adapt to the market and the consumer.  Businesses adapt to the situation using what ever means necessary for strategic survival.  One example of strategic survival in the 21st century is many businesses have relied on technology.  Technology can give a large advantage over other business for efficiency and profitability.  A business can’t be a follower but must be ahead of the curve in its adaptation.  For example as stated in “Darwin” “Progress in science consists of the development of better explanations for the causes of natural phenomena.  Scientists never can be sure that a given explanation is complete and final.  Some of the hypotheses advanced by scientists turn out to be incorrect (289).  A business can’t wait for a given strategy to be proven for success but must strategize correctly and implement for an adjustment to the consumer satisfaction.  It can be risky, but if done correctly before the competition, the reward is great.

In today’s market many people are struggling to find jobs.  Employees are going back to school to become better skilled and more qualified for competitive jobs.  People are adapting to their means and competing with other job seekers in order to pay bills, and buy food, which is a matter of survival.

The video I chose that best demonstrates the relation between Darwin’s natural selection and business is a clip from the movie “Fun with Dick and Jane.” This clip shows people physically racing for a job interview due to the competition.  In this situation the fastest and best skilled interviewee will receive the job. 

Resources:

Appleman, Philip.  Darwin. Darwin and the Shaping of  Modern Science. p289



No comments: